Background

Sunday, July 4, 2010

It is Independence Day!

On the Fourth of July, most Americans celebrate the adoption of the Declaration of Independence with picnics, parades and of course fireworks. While I am proud to live in a country where independence and liberty are valued, (in most states anyway) this year I will spend a large part of my day thinking about the word independence and what it means to me.

Last June, I realized my battle with food addiction was literally killing me. As I flirted with the 400 pound mark it became very evident that I had an increasing number of medical challenges, I was lost between somewhere between anger and depression, I hated leaving the house because I was so overweight, I struggled with putting on my own shoes and performing daily hygiene chores, I even stopped wanting to be intimate with my best friend... I was dying inside and out.

On June 2nd, I made a resolution to change the way I lived.

I decided to approach my battle much like an alcoholic does their urge to drink. My AA was WW. (Weight Watchers) I went to my first Weight Watchers meeting expecting to find a group of people suffering from the same negative self images, cravings, and challenges that I was. What I found instead was a family of people ready to embrace a new lifestyle (and me!) They were not suffering, but engaged in the challenge of weight loss. The leader and her cronies were not judgmental- but supportive, and together they shared stories from the different phases of their personal journeys. Sitting my butt in a chair and waiting for a miracle to happen was not going to be an option. They were going to hold be accountable, but with love and understanding. And so began my journey...

A month later, I was struggling, I mean really struggling! Every fat cell in my body was screaming for bacon covered, pizza flavored cupcakes. I was still afraid of being in my car alone. I just knew the McDonald's Arches were going to force me into a drive through where I would have no choice but to order 3 big-macs and 2 cokes. (The 2 cokes proved I wasn't going to eat it all myself-even though I was.) I was still terribly fearful that I wasn't going to be able to shed the 200lbs of personal tyranny I had accumulated. Still, I was learning to make wise decisions and my family and friends were beginning to encourage my efforts. Hopeful, I promised to continue to use the tools I was being given in the meetings and trust that if I just stayed on plan- I would see results.

This year, I am proud to celebrate my independence from food. I now control my constitution and amend it when needed. I am happier and healthier than I can remember, I have added exercise into my regimen, and have discovered and renewed personal relationships. Knowing what it takes to be successful is essential and I frequently have to review "the basics" and identify pesky habits that attempt to creep back into my lifestyle. It helps to be armed with the right tools and the right people. With their help, I have learned how to avoid and eliminate trigger items and effectively handle the emotions that contributed to my overeating.

We often celebrate the birth of our country by lighting up the sky... this year those fireworks have a different meaning for me. They celebrate my success and victory over food, (and the successes of my WW family) they encourage me in my efforts over the next year, and best represent how I feel each morning when I look in the mirror.

Happy Independence Day!

From mix

1 comment:

Liz said...

Happy Independence Day, Jen! Loved this post !! So Inspiring : )